Monday, May 4, 2009

Our Own Little Piece of Heaven

It's funny how we get caught up in the "buy, buy, buy" message of our culture, when sometimes the simplest things make us the happiest. Previous generations were the original recyclers and re-users. And recently, due to my economic state I have been more in touch with that part of my roots.

Yesterday a used patio table reminded me that we create our own happiness and "new" is also a matter of perspective. On our way to the grocery store, much to my children's initial disdain, I picked up a "free" patio table on the side of the road. Little did I know that this table would become a small little lesson in the value of re-using/recycling.

I spotted the table next to an apartment complex, pulled over and asked my son to help me load my "treasure." My son was not thrilled to help me carry and lift the glass top table into the back of our minivan. After shopping he helped me unload the table and put it in our backyard.

While the kids were playing in the house I got to work assimilating the new table to our backyard. I scrubbed the dirt and dust from the table and set some patio chairs around it. I took our beach umbrella and dropped it through the center hole.

Satisfied with my arrangement I invited the kids to come outside and have a snack. They took one look and were bubbling with excitement. This once discarded, grungy table was now, to them, the perfect place to relax and have a snack.

Bailey, my son, actually said "Mom, it's like a piece of heaven fell down into our backyard!" Wow, I knew they'd like it, but his reaction was better than I could have ever hoped for. I have to admit that his exclamation really resonated. With the glow of the early evening sun filtering through the umbrella, I watched my two angels eat and chat, in our own little piece of heaven.

This was one of those rich moments I will always treasure. Thank God for that free table on the side of the road. Who knew we'd have paradise in our own backyard?

No comments: